Monday, April 11, 2016

Hikes and Headstands




One of the things that still seem surreal to me is the fact that I live in San Diego. When you grew up waiting for the weekends your parents would pack up the car and take you to the beach, the idea of living in the city of perpetual perfect weather became quite the dream. The moment I got my license and was mobile, it became a regular thing to drive to the coast (Modesto, my hometown, is about 1 1/2 hours from San Francisco, two hours from Santa Cruz). Sometimes I wouldn't tell anyone, just ride solo and sit on the beach. I could never get all of the sand out of my car (or my mind).  

In 2009, I went to San Diego for the first time as an adult. I still remember sitting on the beach with my best friend, Wendy. We talked about how cool it would be to live in such a beautiful city.  Looking out at the ocean, I told her, "I'm going to live here." Five years later, my dream became reality.

It's been over a year and a half now, and it still feels weird when I say I live in San Diego. I was less than 3 miles from the beach up until a few months ago, when I made a move a little south. Still in SD County, and still a short drive to the beach. Better yet, I actually work across the street from the ocean. No, really! I work in La Jolla, and just down the road is the GORGEOUS Pacific Ocean. As if that couldn't be topped, there is a hiking trail that leads you down to the beach!! I can leave my car at the office, put on my sneakers and headphones and head down to my happy place. It's become one of my favorite things to do here. I've been waiting for daylight savings time to get some daylight back in the evenings. Soon as it did, I headed for the trail...






Inversions are way hard on the sand! 


Was blessed to have a buddy come with me this time. I have seen everything from snakes to bunnies on the trails, amazing foliage, and gorgeous views. I love enjoying the sunshine, playing in the sand, feeling the crisp water, hearing the waves. My pockets (or whoever is with me who has them, sorry Marisa!) end up full of shells, stones and sea glass. And the sunset??? All I can say is, "WOW." We hiked, laughed, listened to music and even struck a few poses. I'll never take for granted this beautiful place I get to call home.


The potential of falling is always a bit scary, after a few tries, Marisa and I got a good shot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment