Monday, September 14, 2015

From Student to Teacher

    Five months ago, I brought out my old yoga mat and set a goal: I will yoga every day for 30 days. It started with an article I read about a woman who set a goal of practicing yoga every day for 30 days. The 30 days then became 365. The idea of making a promise to yourself and keeping it seemed simple enough. It also seemed really hard. So I gave it a go.

    I started watching YouTube videos and came across a yogi named Adriene that had a 30 day yoga challenge. How fitting! I began reading any and every article I could on yoga. On different yogis, on asanas, on meditation. I downloaded yoga and meditation apps on my phone. I scoured Amazon for good deals on yoga equipment. I practiced every chance I got. By the end of 30 days, I was hooked. I couldn't get enough of it. Something inside had been awoken and there was no going back. I became a yogi.


    Yoga isn't just about making beautiful poses for an Instagram post. It brings an awareness not only to the world around you, but of yourself. A practice can be anything from just for personal health and fitness to a complete spiritual journey. Everyone's path is so different, and they are all so beautiful. Having that "Wow" moment when you nail a pose or moment of complete clarity is unlike anything else I've ever experienced.


    So much has changed for me in those 5 months. It is about to change so much more. On October 7th, I will take my journey as a yogi to another level: I am going to become a certified yoga teacher. This involves 200 hours of lecture and practice in 10 weeks. Sounds intense. It will be intense. But I am so ready. 





The article that changed my world: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephanie-baronicook/yoga-every-day-year_b_7041176.html

You can find Yoga with Adriene here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFKE7WVJfvaHW5q283SxchA

2 comments: