Friday, March 11, 2016

Reflection: The Butterfly Effect


On Sunday I taught another community class with another one of my peers. This time, it was my turn to open class. We each taught half, which is about 35 minutes each. Also, the longest I've ever had to teach to anyone other than aloud to myself. I felt more confident this time. And felt like it showed. Even though I missed a few cues, it was all pretty seamless. Was pretty proud of myself and my partner.

“’It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world.’

This is the basis of the butterfly effect. Simply put it means that a small cause can have large effects on its surroundings. What does that mean for you? It means that every action can alter the world around you. Sometimes you may feel like you aren't making a difference. Or that you don't have a purpose. That couldn't be further away from the truth. Each and every one of us has great significance. We have the power to do great things. Something as small as a smile to someone having a bad day can turn their day around. In turn, they can positively affect someone else's and so on and so on. Every action, every word, every breath, has an effect. As you set your intention for your practice today, I ask you, what kind of effect do you want to make on this earth?

In yoga, every movement and breath you take, when done with intention, create a fulfilling practice. This simple concept of having intention can create a fulfilling life. Like a pebble thrown into a pool of water, the ripples it creates can reach further than ever imagined. You can also.”

I actually went into class that afternoon not feeling like myself. I had a little bit of a frustrating morning, having had a disagreement with someone I loved. Once I began teaching, the irritation, the frustration, began to fade away. When I spoke the words, I felt like I was hearing them for the first time, even though I had practiced them to myself over and over. After class, I took some time to just be alone. To sit and think about how some of the things I said and how I said them affected the way the conversation went. I kind of felt shitty, to be honest. And wondered if it could have gone differently. There are times I get so caught up in my own shit or what I’m feeling in that moment, that I react rather than respond. Not just in this particular situation, but in everyday life. I need to take note of every action and the words that come out of my mouth a little more carefully. They effect everything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment